Monday, April 4, 2011

Chickens





They are finally here. I have planned for chickens for several years now. We have 11 Barred Plymouth Rock and one Red sex link. We had to return one of the original chicks. All the feed store had left was Red sex link. So that is how we acquired "Goldy".

Goldy is Luke's chick. Luke just adores her. He carries her all over the yard.

Our family decided to let Chloe and Lilly name some chicks too. When I asked Chloe, she told me she wanted her chick to be named "Chicky". A good solid chicken name. I probably would have chosen the same when I was her age.

Then there was Lilly. She said she wanted to name her chick "Princess Leia" because "Luke likes Star Wars". I thought she said "Princess Lay-er". I asked if she had said "Lay-er". She started cracking up! I love when children are mature enough to understand that something is funny.

She was stern and serious with me the other day on the phone. She wanted to make sure it was "Leia" and not "Lay-er". She then told me she would name another "Lucky Charms".

4 comments:

Carlson Family said...

I LOVE IT! Our Gold ones were my favorite too!

lori said...

How fun!! Yippee for new baby chicks! Looks like the kids are adoring them.

lori said...

For comparison's sake, since we started off with nearly the same number of barred Plymouth Rocks, I'll post this factoid: we got our 10 exactly two years ago and are now down to 4, due to a couple of stray dog incidents, unexplained disappearances, sickliness, etc. Not the greatest track record, if you ask me, so I hope yours is better! You may be further away from stray dogs, which will be a plus.

Unknown said...

Oh, I have had some good laughs reading your blogs! Especially Lillian's Princess Leia (layer) and your understanding of the name!! The pictures are great, but oh, your poor rose bush and little seedlings...those chickens are a wiley bunch!